1. Out of the blue: hoàn toàn bất ngờ
Example: “That storm came out of the blue and I didn’t have an umbrella!”
2. Green with envy: ghen tị
Example: “Katie was green with envy when she saw you got a new car for your birthday.”
3. Gray area: chưa rõ ràng, chưa xác định
Example: The issue of allowing mobile phones in the classroom is a gray area right now- it could go either way.
4. Caught red-handed: bắt quả tang
Example: “He was caught red-handed while stealing those candy bars.”
5. Green thumb: có kỹ năng trong lĩnh vực làm vườn
Example: “My mother has a green thumb- she can make anything grow!”
6. Black sheep: lạc lõng, không giống mọi người.
Example: “Rachel is the black sheep in the family because she is an artist whereas everyone else is an economist.”
7. Once in a blue moon: rất hiếm hoi, hiếm khi
Example: “Once in a blue moon you will see that mean professor smile.”
8. Take the red eye: chuyến bay đêm muộn và đáp vào sáng sớm
Example: “I took the red eye from California to New York last night and now I am exhausted.”
9. Tickled pink: thực sự rất vui, hài lòng
Example: “Your grandma was tickled pink that you called on her birthday!”
10. White lie: lời nói dối nhỏ để tránh làm tổn thương ai đó
Example: “I didn’t like her dress, but I told a white lie because I didn’t want to offend her.